Sunday, June 7, 2009

What's cooking this month?

We'll be celebrating Juneteenth on June 19th. Juneteenth is a liberation celebration. It commemorates the day that slaves in Texas finally learned that they were free. Well after the Emancipation Proclamation and even after the end of the Civil War.

Not sure what's for dinner that night. Maybe some modernized 'southern' favorites. I am not from the South, so this isn't my cuisine, but I like smothered food as much as the next gal, so I'll cobble something together. And try to make it look good (Lord knows it should taste good) and try to make it vaguely healthy (which may turn the whole tasty thing on its head.)

Also, I am hosting a 'cake' party mid-month. No real reason other than that I've been making a lot of cakes lately. I've decided that cakes are the perfect holiday dessert in most cases. For instance, tradition dictates pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving, but you could make a pumpkin cake in its place!
There are a number of cakes I have made over the last few holidays. I'll be repeating a few of those and adding a few new creations. I am particularly proud to have pieced together an ice cream cake. I worked during college at Baskin-Robbins and was a scooper extraordinaire, but never earned my stripes as cake-maker. Well, I have now corrected that deficiency in my training. It is actually pretty straightforward to make an ice cream cake.

Anyway, just giving an update because it will be at least another week before you see food here this month and I wanted to let you know what to look forward to.
















No comments:

Post a Comment