Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Dinner

Roast Leg of curry-rubbed lamb
Minty Chickpea Salad with Couscous
Deviled Cauliflower
Panned Spinach with Pine nuts and Golden raisins
Pita triangles

Almond and Orange Cake

Libations: A nice Shiraz or Orange-Berry Spritzer, and Tea with cake



Luckily, Easter is always on a Sunday. As a non-church attending type, I can get straight to cooking without having to go to Church first.
It was a fairly simple meal, so I took my time and it took ALL day. I made the cake a day ahead, so I didn’t have the oven trauma that often comes with too many baked/broiled items in one meal.
The half-leg of lamb, from Bob’s Quality Meats, was just the right size for a family of three with plenty for leftovers. About three pounds, it fit in my roasting rack just fine. I did a curry rub, but it didn’t add much. Next time I’ll just do rosemary, garlic and olive oil.
The couscous was tasty (love the surprise lift that the orange zest gives) if a bit dry, the tomato accompaniment was fabulous. The panned spinache with golden raisins and pine nuts, a solid side. The surprise winner was the deviled (or on a day such as Easter, Angeled) cauliflower. We all loved it and the naysayers who hate cauliflower had seconds.
A note on lamb. Obviously you will serve first the pieces on the end. They will be the most dry pieces because they are well done. Everything else will be moist and tender; perfect for take two tomorrow.
And of course, the meal is just the permission you need to gorge on dessert. I made Almond and Orange cake which was heavenly. Just served with a cup of regular tea. Just the thing to end the meal and the day.

Curried Leg of Lamb – follow cooking directions in your favorite standard cookbook. The marinade/rub recipe: http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Honey-curry%20lamb%20roast
Deviled Cauliflower - (Bon Appetite, December 1994)
Minty Chickpea Salad with Couscous - (Real Simple, August 2007)
Spinach with pine nuts and golden raisins - (I think this is an Epicurious.com recipe that I’ve made so many times that I no longer need to look it up)
Almond and Orange cake -
(http://homemades.blogspot.com/2008/10/itb-almond-and-orange-cake.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment